In this episode, we talk with Oliver Manahan, Director of Engagement and Operations at EMVCo, to understand how EMVCo fulfills its mission, catch up on its 2023 initiatives, and try to peek over the horizon to see what might be in store next for EMVCo.
Get a global snapshot of similar and unique payments activity.
Eﬃcient and inclusive ﬁnancial services are vital to economic growth. New payments systems and innovations are popping up all over the globe and transforming the way individuals and businesses behave.
This workshop is designed for payments professionals that want to learn about global payments trends. We begin the workshop by aligning on key concepts to understand the world of global payments, including what is similar and what is unique across various markets. We then explore payments activities in select countries, looking at innovations like faster payments, digital wallets, and BNPL in these markets. We shift to explore the unique challenges of cross-border payments and how they are changing in today’s market.
Global Payments Key Concepts – 0:30 Hours
- What is a domestic payment system?
- How countries run their payments systems
- Commonalities and differences among countries
- Global shift to instant, credit push payments and other payments trends
Payment Systems in the Americas – 0:45 Hours
- Countries Covered – Canada, Brazil, Mexico
- Domestic Spotlight – Interac, Real-Time Rails (RTR), Boleto Bancario, Nubank, iti, Mercado Pago, CoDi, Oxxo, and RappiPay
Payment Systems in Asia-Pacific – 0:45 Hours
- Countries Covered – China and India
- Domestic Spotlight – AliPay, WeChat Pay, Paytm, UPI
Payment Systems in Europe – 0:45 Hours
- Countries Covered – EU, The Netherlands, and UK
- Domestic Spotlight – Klarna, iDEAL, SEPA (credit, debit, instant)
International Wire Evolution – 1:00 Hours
- How sending money from one country to another works
- International wires, correspondent banking, and SWIFT
- Economics - End-to-end fee analysis on an international wire
- Rise of SWIFT gpi – What it is, how it works, usage metrics
Cross-Border Card Processing – 1:00 Hours
- Cross-border card payments – Flows, economics, and implications
- Dynamic currency conversion – Flows, economics, and relevant rules
- Multi-currency pricing – How it differs, where it fits
- Multi-currency cards – How they work, where they fit
Cross-Border Online Commerce – 0:75 Hours
- Global PSPs – models and value proposition
- General approach to domestic payment methods
- Cross-border domestic processing
Cross-Border Fast Payments – 0:30 Hours
- Immediate Cross-Border Payments (IXB)
- BIS Project Nexus
Wrap Up & Q&A
30,000+ Glenbrook Payments Boot CampTM workshop participants
Attending companies include fintechs, networks, banks, technology providers, investors, and more.
“The Payments Boot Camp® has done an amazing job at giving me a broader understanding of the payments industry in an easy to digest and engaging format.”
– Tessa Dill Money Solutions Specialist – Payments, Shopify
Key Payments Terminology
All the key terms explained on one place.
Latest Payments on Fire® Podcasts
We’ve pulled Episode 16 from our vault: a far-reaching discussion that moves from some EMV fundamentals to the implications of having a long tale of adoption, how consumer behavior and payment capabilities have to evolve in concert, and the reaction of fraudsters when things change in large, complex environments like the card system.
Glenbrook's Bryan Derman, Chris Uriarte, and Drew Edmond are back from a few days of learning, networking, and speaking (including a live broadcast from the Money Pot) at this year's Money 20/20 conference in Las Vegas.
Chris and Drew talk with Yvette Bohanan about the noteworthy payments trends they observed at the show and what related themes our team is paying attention to.