Payments Risk Management
Fraud schemes exploit weak controls.
Business risk: automation, people, and vendors
Settlement risk: timing, credit, and currency
Legal risk: regulatory, rules, and contract
Strong risk management requires constant vigilance.
Risk management and fraud mitigation require cross-functional planning and execution. Let us help.
Recent engagements include:
- We worked with an ecommerce merchant to identify and mitigate the cause of a persistent uptick in fraud that had placed them on a network dispute management program.
- We used our Payments Risk Management (PRM) Maturity Model and Risk Taxonomy to help a global merchant develop a comprehensive control plan to increase lead generation and manage payment risks in the short and long term.
- We conducted consumer research in Ghana, Uganda, and India to understand end user experiences with fraud in real-time payments.
Payments Boot CampTM workshops
- What are incumbents doing to “get in the game”?
- How are new entrants defining economic models?
- What regulations are in place or approaching and how will they impact digital currencies?
- What use cases will digital currencies most likely impact in the near and long term?
The GlenbrookTM Team’s Risk Frameworks
We use a simple framework that we call our Payments Risk Taxonomy, to identify a client’s specific risks. All payment risks can be mapped to one of the categories in the taxonomy.
A company’s ability to manage payment risks can be measured using a simple PRM maturity model. When assessing a client’s controls, we use our PRM maturity model. The model is similar to Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) and Information Technology and Cybersecurity maturity models.
Glenbrook’s helped our client gain a thorough understanding of the issuer authentication ecosystem and provided the client with a recommended approach and roadmap to help improve authentication standards and better engage with issuers.
A global investment bank executing a nine-figure acquisition of a risk management service provider engaged Glenbrook to assess the company’s product features, competitive positioning, market and product risk, and growth potential.
A multi-national marketplace engaged Glenbrook to assess its risk environment to identify areas for potential improvement, to manage an RFP process to find possible vendors, and to recommend best-fit solutions.
Glenbrook develop a set of fraud mitigation guiding principles as part of an fast payments systems implementation framework for emerging countries. The ultimate objective of the work was to increase the adoption of fast payments by creating a trustworthy experience for end users.
To create a more robust risk mitigation program, a multi-national marketplace engaged Glenbrook to assess its risk environment and existing controls to identify areas for potential improvement. We then led a comprehensive RFP process for online fraud detection and KYC providers. The final deliverable was an actionable set of recommendations to improve their operational and technical control capabilities to enable them to scale their business.
Launch, improve & grow your payments business