A leading payments industry news source for more than 17 years. Glenbrook curates the news and keeps you abreast of the important daily headlines in payments.
Search Payments News
October 16, 2020
On the web
“The couple was hit by what is known as real estate wire fraud, an increasingly common crime. According to the FBI, consumers have lost more than $220 million in schemes like this thus far in 2020, a 13% increase from the same period last year.”
August 10, 2020
On the wires
“The owner of a Florida talent management company and four others were charged in complaints unsealed yesterday for their alleged participation in a scheme to file fraudulent loan applications seeking more than $24 million in forgivable Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans guaranteed by the Small Business Administration (SBA) under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.”
October 5, 2018
“Over the past several years, North Korea has continued to perfect its hacker armies that have carried out some of the most devastating digital attacks around the world. Last month, the Justice Department unsealed charges against Park Jin Hyok for his part in the 2014 Sony Pictures hack as well as for aiding in the Bangladesh theft and the damaging WannaCry malware outbreak.”
September 7, 2018
On the web
“In a criminal complaint unsealed on Thursday, Park Jin Hyok was charged with involvement in the North Korean government-sponsored hacking team known as ‘Lazarus Group’ linked to the 2017 WannaCry 2.0 global ransomware attack, the 2016 Bangladesh Bank theft, and the 2014 hit on Sony Pictures Entertainment, among others.”
May 14, 2018
On the web
“Thieves siphoned hundreds of millions of pesos out of Mexican banks, including No. 2 Banorte, by creating phantom orders that wired funds to fake accounts and promptly withdrew the money, two sources close to the government’s investigation said. Hackers sent hundreds of false orders to move amounts ranging from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of pesos from banks including Banorte, to fake accounts in other banks, the sources said, and accomplices then emptied the accounts in cash withdrawals in dozens of branch offices.”
Give us your email address or link to our RSS feed and we’ll push the daily Payments News headlines to you.
Top Stories from Payments News
- Payments Views - Healthcare, meet Payments: When two complex industries collide
- Capital One to Buy Discover Financial in $35.3 Billion All-Stock Deal
- Adyen Teams up With Billie to Revolutionize B2B Payments in Europe
- Capital One Acquiring Discover Financial Services, Report Says
- Garanti BBVA Goes Biometric With Its New Bonus Platinum Card
- Federal Regulators Are Probing Whether Cash App Leaves Door Open to Money Launderers, Terrorists
- How and Why Do Consumers Use “Buy Now, Pay Later”?
- “It’s Not About Killing Cards,” Says Founder of Payments Startup Banked, Which Is Looking to Ramp Up Pay-By-Bank in US
- CFPB Report Finds Large Banks Charge Higher Credit Card Interest Rates than Small Banks and Credit Unions
- One App to Rule Them All? New Survey Finds Banking Apps Are More Than Just a Home for Transactions
Glenbrook Payments Boot camp®
Register for the next Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp®
An intensive and comprehensive overview of the payments industry.
Train your Team
Customized, private Payments Boot Camps tailored to meet your team’s unique needs.
Recorded, one-hour videos covering a broad array of payments concepts.
Comprehensive books that detail the systems and innovations shaping the payments industry.