A leading payments industry news source for more than 17 years. Glenbrook curates the news and keeps you abreast of the important daily headlines in payments.

Search Payments News

December 27, 2022

On the web

Mastercard, UNO Digital Bank Offer Numberless Debit Card

BusinessWorld Online

“MASTERCARD, Inc. and UNO Digital Bank have partnered to launch the country’s first numberless debit card to address security concerns on online and offline payments. In a press release on Wednesday, the companies said that the card shows only the cardholder’s name and the logos of Mastercard and UNO Digital Bank. They added that the feature averts the risk of personal or financial data theft in case the card is lost or stolen.”

April 28, 2021

On the wires

dLocal Expands Further Into Southeast Asia to Support Merchant Demand

“dLocal, a technology-first payments platform enabling global enterprise merchants to connect with billions of consumers in emerging markets, today announced operations in three new countries in Southeast Asia, including Malaysia, the Philippines, and Vietnam. These countries, along with the region’s other two largest economies, Indonesia and Singapore, have seen significant eCommerce growth due to their expanded digital footprint in the wake of the pandemic…dLocal will now provide payment capabilities for eWallets, cash and international card payments, as well as chargebacks and refunds.”

December 9, 2020

On the wires

Mastercard and Pine Labs to expand “pay later” instalment solution to five Southeast Asian markets in early 2021

“Mastercard and Pine Labs will launch their integrated “pay later” solution in five Southeast Asian markets early next year to offer consumers the flexibility of zero-interest instalments on purchases, expand business for merchants and connect banks, fintechs, payment gateways and device makers to a rapidly growing financing alternative.”

June 25, 2020

On the web

Yoma to Buy Control of Myanmar E-payment Venture Wave Money

Nikkei Asian Review

“Singapore-listed Yoma Strategic Holdings will acquire a controlling share in its Wave Money digital wallet joint venture while welcoming Chinese platform Alipay on board, as the group pushes to reach Myanmar’s many underbanked citizens. Yoma will buy a 51% stake in Wave Money operator Digital Money Myanmar from Norway’s Telenor for $76.5 million, the group said Wednesday. Yoma, which owns the remaining 49% interest, intends to form a designated holding company for the purchase that will raise funds from other investors. The group will make additional investments of up to $25 million.”

June 24, 2020

On the web

Singapore’s Grab Puts Partnership With Troubled Wirecard on Hold

Reuters

“Southeast Asian ride-hailing and payments company Grab said it had put a partnership with scandal-hit Wirecard on hold, days after the German payments firm disclosed a $2.1 billion financial hole that threatens its future. The two companies had struck a payments agreement in March under which Wirecard was to process transactions made via the GrabPay e-wallet, starting with markets in Malaysia, Philippines and Singapore. Wirecard had not begun processing payments or signing up merchants on behalf of Grab, Southeast Asia’s most valuable start-up, whose e-wallet is accepted by more than 600,000 merchants and small businesses in the region.”

June 5, 2020

On the wires

October 26, 2018

On the web

‘We want to be THE online payment solutions provider for Southeast Asia’

The Worldfolio

“Established in 2011, Red Dot Payment (RDP) is Singapore’s largest digital payment gateway, handling almost one billion dollars in online transactions across 22 countries. In this interview, CEO Randy Tan discusses how expats and support from the government have helped to build a thriving Fintech ecosystem in the city-state, and the innovations and solutions RDP can offer its wide range of clients, from young start-ups to major hotels.”