A leading payments industry news source for more than 17 years. Glenbrook curates the news and keeps you abreast of the important daily headlines in payments.
Search Payments News
December 8, 2022
On the web
Melinda French Gates Scans Paytm QR Code to Pay for Water at a Delhi Village
“Philanthropist and co-chair of Gates Foundation Melinda French Gates, who is currently in India for a visit, while interacting with villagers at a Delhi village used digital payment app Patym to make a purchase at a kirana or a local store. In a video tweet shared by Gates Foundation India, the 58-year-old billionaire can be seen holding a plastic bottle of mineral water in one hand and holding her phone in the other hand to scan Paytm’s QR code for payment at a shop in Garhi village of Delhi. French Gates, whose institution Gates Foundation has been actively working in India for years in the field of health and education, was in Garhi village to interact with the India Post Payments Bank customers and its elderly women pensioners. There is no doubt that India has been actively working on digital payment mediums, which has paved the way for extensive financial inclusion in the country. This was evident when foreign dignitaries visiting India used digital payment apps, like Paytm, to purchase things in the local markets and villages. Earlier this week, German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock also used Paytm to shop for traditional clothes in Chandni Chowk.”
Give us your email address or link to our RSS feed and we’ll push the daily Payments News headlines to you.
Top Stories from Payments News
- U.S. Payments Forum Unveils First-of-its-Kind Comprehensive Resource on Authentication Techniques for Remote and In-App Payments
- Federal Reserve Announces July Launch for the FedNow Service
- Visa, Mastercard Pause Crypto Push in Wake of Industry Meltdown
- China’s Digital Yuan Can Now Be Used to Pay Highway Toll Fees on Major Routes
- Co-op Solutions Introduces Co-op Pay Network to Help Credit Unions Optimize Debit Profitability
- SoftBank, Ant Seek to Sell Paytm Stake Via Open Market
- JPMorgan Restricts Employee Use of ChatGPT
- Linux Foundation Europe Launches the OpenWallet Foundation to Power Interoperable Digital Wallets
- China’s Digital Yuan Needs WeChat, Alipay to Boost Adoption, Experts Say
- Boston Fed, MIT Complete Research Project into Feasibility of a Central Bank Digital Currency
Glenbrook Payments Boot camp®
Register for the next Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp®
An intensive and comprehensive overview of the payments industry.
Train your Team
Customized, private Payments Boot Camps tailored to meet your team’s unique needs.
Recorded, one-hour videos covering a broad array of payments concepts.
Comprehensive books that detail the systems and innovations shaping the payments industry.