A leading payments industry news source for more than 17 years. Glenbrook curates the news and keeps you abreast of the important daily headlines in payments.
Search Payments News
October 26, 2022
On the web
“The future success of real-time payments platforms owned by the Federal Reserve and the largest U.S. banks hinges on whether financial institutions and fintechs can find real-world uses for the technology. Real-time payments are still in their infancy in the U.S.: The Clearing House, a company owned by Bank of America Corp.; JPMorgan Chase & Co.; Citigroup Inc.; Wells Fargo & Co.; and other large banks launched the nation’s first real-time payment platform, or RTP, in 2017, while the Fed has scheduled a production rollout of its own planned platform, the FedNow Service, for May to July 2023. RTP has shown steady growth since its launch, but its $19.7 billion of processed payments during the third quarter were a tiny portion of the trillion-dollar U.S. payment market. The planned launch of FedNow has rekindled banks’ discussions about faster payment offerings, but many banks, especially smaller ones with limited resources, are unsure about the operational setup and the potential for monetization, Mark Majeske, senior vice president at payments company Alacriti Inc., said in an interview.”
Give us your email address or link to our RSS feed and we’ll push the daily Payments News headlines to you.
Top Stories from Payments News
- Payments Views - Healthcare, meet Payments: When two complex industries collide
- Capital One to Buy Discover Financial in $35.3 Billion All-Stock Deal
- Adyen Teams up With Billie to Revolutionize B2B Payments in Europe
- Capital One Acquiring Discover Financial Services, Report Says
- Garanti BBVA Goes Biometric With Its New Bonus Platinum Card
- Federal Regulators Are Probing Whether Cash App Leaves Door Open to Money Launderers, Terrorists
- How and Why Do Consumers Use “Buy Now, Pay Later”?
- “It’s Not About Killing Cards,” Says Founder of Payments Startup Banked, Which Is Looking to Ramp Up Pay-By-Bank in US
- CFPB Report Finds Large Banks Charge Higher Credit Card Interest Rates than Small Banks and Credit Unions
- One App to Rule Them All? New Survey Finds Banking Apps Are More Than Just a Home for Transactions
Glenbrook Payments Boot camp®
Register for the next Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp®
An intensive and comprehensive overview of the payments industry.
Train your Team
Customized, private Payments Boot Camps tailored to meet your team’s unique needs.
Recorded, one-hour videos covering a broad array of payments concepts.
Comprehensive books that detail the systems and innovations shaping the payments industry.