Engagement Manager Job Description
Engagement Managers provide day-to-day, hands-on management of consulting projects and client relationships with the support of Glenbrook partners. They bring thought leadership, critical thinking, project management and team leadership skills together to ensure the quality and timeliness of client deliverables and recommendations.
- Problem solving: Identify key strategic issues, develop hypotheses and/or potential solutions, test through quantitative and qualitative analysis, refine and formulate appropriate recommendations. Produce lucid, well organized, and persuasive client deliverables (typically in PowerPoint) and guide team members as they make contributions to work product.
- Project management: Lead at least one large or 2-3 smaller client engagements independently. Foster productive teamwork, facilitate regular and ad hoc client meetings that identify business issues and mitigate project risk with support from Partners as appropriate. Ensure project deliverables meet client expectations and are of Glenbrook quality, while meeting agreed timeline and budget, redefining scope and milestones as necessary to adapt to changing client needs.
- Client relationship management: Build trusted, collaborative relationships with client personnel, network beyond core project team, and be a thoughtful advisor, anticipating business issues and providing high caliber insights.
- Intellectual capital development: Contribute to the growth of Glenbrook by honing analytical tools used within the practice. Provide content to the Firm’s web properties and participate in development and delivery of Glenbrook’s Payments Boot Camps and Insight Workshops. Build, maintain and utilize a network of client and industry contacts. Develop professional perspective on industry issues and participate in industry events to foster relationships and gain expertise.
- Team building: Actively participate in recruiting and retention for growing the firm. Foster growth of associates through coaching, industry knowledge transfer, and skill development. Conduct regular one:one reviews with team members.
- Sales: Identify incremental opportunities within existing clients, and assist in the development of proposals.
- Reports to Sponsoring Partner
Skills and Experience
- MBA – or – relevant industry work experience
- 3-7 years post-MBA experience in a top-tier strategy consulting or other professional services firm with the focus on one or more of the following industries: financial services, retail, technology – or – strategic role in a payments industry company
- Deep understanding of business concepts: market and competitive dynamics, business models, process flows, innovation
- Strong quantitative skills to support strategic decision making
- Experience developing questionnaires and conducting qualitative interviews to gather first-hand insight into value chain and competitive actions
- Ability to synthesize qualitative and quantitative data, formulate strategic narrative supported by compelling diagrams/charts/process flows as appropriate
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to effectively facilitate substantive dialogue with client personnel from mid-management to senior levels, respectfully probe sensitive issues and challenge opposing viewpoints with internal Glenbrook team as well as with client representative
- Demonstrated integrity and respect for confidentiality
- Intense curiosity about a wide range of subjects
- Team orientation, ownership/accountability coupled with innate desire to collaborate with Glenbrook colleagues and clients
- Desire to grow a superior consulting practice that provides opportunity for learning and professional growth
This position is in San Francisco, Atlanta, New York or Portland, Oregon and requires approximately 30-40% travel. Travel is primarily within the United States but occasional International travel is expected.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.